Re: cross-sections of 3D objects

Hi John,

VisAD doesn't currently include operations for computing
the intersections of surfaces and planes in 3-D. However,
you might hack it as follows. Your plance can be defined by:

  ax + by + cz = d

So define a FlatField with MathType:

  ((x, y, z) -> plane)

and with your mainfold dimension = 2 Gridded3DSet as its
domain Set. Compute the 'plane' value at each sample
location as:

  ax + by + cz

Then create the ScalarMap plane -> IsoContour and set the
base contour = d (with a very large contour interval so you
only get one contour curve). That is, the IsoContour will
be a set of iso-lines on the surface (not an iso-surface),
but you only want one iso-line.