Re: Usage of FomulaManager

Hi Mathias,

I recommend that you look into using visad.python.RunJPython
(which in turn uses org.python.util.PythonInterpreter - see

http://jython.sourceforge.net/docs/javadoc/org/python/util/PythonInterpreter.html

for details).

RunJPython's exec() method lets you execute a line of Python
code, its eval() method executes a line and returns its value
(this treats the line of Python as a formula), its execfile()
method executes a program in a file, its set() method sets
values of variables, and its get() method returns values of
variables. Note that the Jython implementation beautifully
uses Java reflection so that every Java Object can be an object
in the untyped Python language.

The formula manager is great, but we have adopted the VisAD
connection to Python as our main direction for supporting
user scripts. We are providing lots of methods for simplified
access to VisAD from Python, as docuemnted in Tom's excellent
tutorial at:

  http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/index.html

Note also that the VisAD/Python connection gives us something
that has been my goal since I started VisAD in 1990: integration
of scientific metadata into ordinary programming language syntax.
So if you say 'image = image1 - image2' georeferencing and unit
conversions are implicit in the arithmetical operation. Or if
'map' is a map outline file, you can say 'image[map[i]]' to get
the image pixel at the location of the i-th map point.