Re: General Advice

  • To: steve smith <sas@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: General Advice
  • From: Tom Whittaker <tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:13:19 -0600 (Central Standard Time)
Steve:

Although I don't know what you mean by "network/graph support", I do have
a few words (biases ;-) that I am compelled to mention.

It seems to me that you have a situation that is ideally suited to the
VisAD Data model -- disparate data with different spatial and temporal
samplings that you want to treat "altogether".  The concept of having a
single, generalized model of _any_ data is very powerful; the fact that
the VisAD Data model also includes essential scientific metadata (units,
error estimates, coordinate systems) is, in my mind, an even more
compelling reason to employ the Data model in what you are doing....even
if you don't use the display capabilities!

tom

p.s. could you send me a reference on the "network/graph"?  Thanks!

--
Tom Whittaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison