Re: visad examples -- compile errors

Jim-

jim schmidt wrote:

> what is the trick for compiling the VisAd examples?
> we get errors such as:
>
> 1) can not instantiate an abstract class Test67 (class UISkeleton)
> 2) call "void collabSourceLost" is not defined
>
> we'd like to compile the examples and use WebStart to
> download them, but can't quite figure out the appropriate
> "superstructure" .   any suggetions?

You can download visad.jar and visad_examples.jar from
ftp://www.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/visad to a directory (i.e. /tmp),
and unjar visad_examples.jar (jar xvf visad_examples.jar).
This will create a directory visad/examples under the
download directory.  cd to that directory and type:

rm *.class     (since the class files are already there)
javac -classpath ../../visad.jar *.java

To run any of the examples, you must be in that directory
(since there is no Java package for the examples) and
run:

java -classpath ../../visad.jar:. DisplayTest xx

where xx is the test number.  Alternatively, you could run:

java -classpath ../../visad.jar:. Testxx

Not having a package name for the examples might make it
problematic to run through WebStart as I mentioned in my
message yesterday.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm