Re: Spreadsheet & Remote Data Servers

Hi,

You are correct that a temperature interval in degrees Celsius has the same
value as a
temperature interval in degrees Kelvin. The problem is that the Unit conversion
code always take
the origin shift into account and so doesn't handle intervals correctly.

While the RealType of the result seems to set the INTERVAL attribute to
indicate that the
underlying data represents a interval that is not taken into account by the
Unit conversion code
so it assumes that it always needs to shift the origin when converting from K
to C. I don't know
how difficult it would be to change visad to make use of the fact that a value
is an interval as
opposed to an absolute value of the Unit.

There is test code at the end of visad.Real which shows creating interval types
and values
explicitly. In this manner it should be possible to have
DeltaCelsiusTemperature RealType which
would not do the origin shift for display.

Tim.

--
Tim Stevenson
Senior Systems Engineer, Surpac Software International