Re: DefaultFamily and comparing RealTypes

Andrew,

>Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:50:11 +0800
>From: Andrew Donaldson <abcd@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: visad-list <visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: DefaultFamily and comparing RealTypes

> Hi Bill and others,
>
> I've been comparing RealTypes a bit, and it has just stopped working.
> I'm assuming that it's ok to use == on RealTypes as they seem to be
> a global sort of thing.  I am interested in testing the equality
> of the name and units etc, so I'm not using RealType.equals().
>
> The problem is that the comparison's behaviour changes after
> I create a DefaultFamily.
>
> The code below shows this (at least for me!), remove the commented
> out line to change what it prints.
>
> Is my assumption bad, or is DefaultFamily doing something bad?

While I don't know the specifics of this situation, in general, unless
it's explicitly documented that instances of a class support use of the
"==" operator, it's best not to rely on that operator when testing for
equality.  Besides the "equals" method, the RealType class also has
"equalsExceptName" and "equalsExceptNameButUnits".

Do you need another comparison method?

Regards,