Re: transparency

Hi Stuart,

My guess is that you are seeing a manifestation of the Java3D
transparency depth-sorting problem that has been around for
many versions.

You can see the bug by running Test20 of the VisAD examples
and setting part of the 2-D surface to be transparent using
the color widget.  If you rotate the surface around, looking
through the transparent area, and you should notice behavior
like you describe from some angles.

Unfortunately, I know of little you can do to correct this
problem, except for waiting until a version of Java3D comes
out that corrects it (supposedly, Java3D v1.3 will fix it).
According to Sun, it is a difficult issue.

-Curtis