Re:

Hi Louise,

> We would like to extend VisAD, in order to change axes'depiction, like having
> a label for each graduation.
>
> We thought of extending the ScalarMap class, in order to overide the method
> makeScale that builds scales.
> But most attributs and methods are private or have package privacy, we can't
> then inherit it in another package.
>
> Is there another way to modify axis depiction, or can some attributs of the
> ScalarMap class become protected?
> thanks

I have just modified ScalarMap.java in the source on the VisAD
ftp server, to declare the makeScale() method as public.  Please
let me know if there are any other methods that you need public.

Another way to draw custom scales is to construct data objects
(probably just Real or RealTuple) with a RealType mapped to
Display.Shape, then to draw your custom scale as a VisADLineArray
passed to the corresponding ShapeControl.setShape().  Note something
like this is done in visad/bom/TrackManipulation.java.