Re: RemoteDisplay vs. RemoteSlaveDisplay

Hi Vimal,

A RemoteDisplayImpl is the VisAD class for any Display coming from a remote
source.  Many VisAD collaborative applications use RemoteDisplayImpls to
synchronize displays between client and server.  A RemoteSlaveDisplayImpl is a
special type of RemoteDisplay (you'll notice that the constructor takes a
RemoteDisplay object) whose component simply paints a BufferedImage captured
from the RemoteDisplay.  MouseEvents on the component are sent via RMI to the
DisplayImpl on the server end, and when the DisplayImpl changes, a new image
snapshot of it is taken and sent via RMI to the RemoteSlaveDisplayImpl.

The advantage of a RemoteSlaveDisplayImpl is that you do not need Java3D on the
client to view 3-D data, since all the rendering is done on the server.  The
disadvantages are that it is much slower than a regular RemoteDisplayImpl, and
that you cannot manipulate a RemoteSlaveDisplayImpl to the extent of a normal
display (you cannot alter ScalarMaps, for example).

I hope my explanation helps.  Let the list know if you have more questions.

-Curtis