Re: has anyone used JPEGImageEncoder successfuly?

"From: Bill Hibbard " wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> > I have some code that saves a java.awt.Component to a jpeg
> > file. Is this what you need?
>
> Yes, if you are willing to send me yor code that
> would be a big help.  I am tryng to understand why
> our code does not work.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill

Here it is. Give me feedback if you want.

        /**
         * Saves a component to a jpeg file
         *
         *
         * @param c component to save as a picture
         * @param defaultName default file name for saving picture
         * @param parent a frame that the FileDialog can be modal to
         * @return true if successful
         * @author originally written by K.Kal,
         *  but significant changes and this version by Lars Roe
roex0029@xxxxxxxxxx,
         */
        public static boolean saveJPEG(Component c, String defaultName, Frame
parent) {
                boolean worked = false;
                //Use appropriate initializer for directory here, if needed
                String defaultDirectory = System.getProperty("user.home","");
                String filename;
                FileDialog fd;
                Component frame = null;
                try {
                        //Get filename
                        fd = new FileDialog(parent,
                                "Save in jpeg format", FileDialog.SAVE);
                        fd.setDirectory(defaultDirectory);
                        fd.setFile(defaultName);
                        fd.setVisible(true);
                        filename = fd.getFile();
                        filename = defaultDirectory + "/" + defaultName;

                        //Save it to the file
                        //For some reason, I can't get Swing components
                        // (descendants of JComponent, not
JFrame/JWindow/JDialog)
                        // to get the graphics correctly, so I use a component
which
                        // is not to get the graphics (frame). Note: frame need
not
                        // be a Frame, but in many cases it is.
                        frame = c;
                        while (frame instanceof JComponent) {
                                frame = frame.getParent();
                        }
                        java.awt.Dimension area = c.getSize();
                        Point p1 = frame.getLocationOnScreen();
                        Point p2 = c.getLocationOnScreen();
                        java.io.FileOutputStream out = new
java.io.FileOutputStream(filename);
                        java.awt.image.BufferedImage bi = null;
                        bi = (java.awt.image.BufferedImage)
c.createImage(area.width, area.height);
                        java.awt.Graphics g = bi.getGraphics();
                        g.translate((int) (p1.getX() - p2.getX()), (int)
(p1.getY() - p2.getY()));
                        frame.paintAll(g);
                        com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder encoder
                                =
com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGCodec.createJPEGEncoder(out);
                        encoder.encode(bi);
                        out.flush();
                        out.close();

                        //successful if this far
                        worked = true;
                } catch (Exception e) {

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(DesktopWindow.defaultWindow,
                                "Error Saving File", "Could Not Save File",
JOptionPane.ERROR_MESSAGE);
                        exception = e;
                }
                return worked;