p.s., Re: Unstructured Meshed again

I should add that if you use ScalarMap(rangeTemp, Display.RGB)
then you will see your values as colored points, and if you use
ScalarMap(rangeTemp, Display.IsoContour) then you will see your
values as iso-surfaces.

However, I am currently working on a true volume rendering
capability for VisAD.  It will initially only apply to Fields
whose domain Sets are Linear3DSets.  However, you can use the
resample method to resample a FlatField with samples on an
Irregular3DSet to a FlatField with samples on a Linear3DSet.