Re: jdk1.2

KathyLee,

> ACK!  I'm trying to compile VisAD with the new JDK1.2.  Apparently,
> there are 2 releases of the JDK, a reference implementation and an
> early release Production version for Solaris.  Below are the differences
> we have found between the two versions.  The javax.swing import
> statement won't work with the Production version, and I can't get a
> clean compile with the reference version.  I'm stuck!  Anybody know
> what is going on, at least with the Solaris version??

Note that running 'make compile' in the visad directory will
generate error messages but these are not generally harmful.
The Makefile tries to compile all the Java sources as well as
native code in each visad subdirectory, and the native code
compile may well fail and in many subdirectories will generate
warnings even if successful.  However, after a compile failure
in one subdirectory 'make compile' will continue in other
subdirectories.

If the error messages from running 'make compile' indicate a
real failure to compile (i.e., after 'make compile' ends you
cannot run 'java Simple' in the visad/examples directory) please
let me know.

Sun has changed the name of the swing packages to 'javax.swing.*'
and if the JDK 1.2 Production implementation for Sparc doesn't
currently recognize this, then it will when it comes out of beta.

> KathyLee Simunich
> Argonne National Lab
>
> -----differences------
>
> Reference Version -
>         same code on Windows and Solaris
>         no support from Sun
>         not JIT

Running 'java -version' gives:

  Classic VM (build JDK-1.2-V, green threads, sunwjit)

indicating the sunwjit - whether its a good JIT is another
question, but HotSpot (to be released sometime in 1999) is
the real performance promise anyways.

>         not optimized
>         either javax.swing or com.sun.java.swing seem to work
>         not for release to users
>         no root permission needed to install
>
> Production Version -
>         different code on two platforms
>         supported by Sun
>         JIT
>         optimized for Solaris
>         only com.sun.java.swing works  <== problem with VisAD code

This is really a problem with the JDK 1.2 Production Version -
VisAD has changed to javax.swing as specified by Sun.

>         supposed to used in releases to users
>         root installs in /usr

Good luck and please keep me posted on your progress.

whibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738

"kill cross-platform Java by growing the polluted Java market"
   - from an internal Microsoft planning document