[thredds] NetCDF-4 DataReadingStrategy

Hi Thredds List,

My colleagues and I (at CSIRO and Geoscience Australia) have been using a
patched version of thredds 4.2 for over 5 years to deliver satellite earth
observation data.  We offer the data in as many formats as possible but our
most used protocol is WMS for visualisation as overlays on maps.  A the time
(around 2011) we had to patch thredds because we use relatively large (64gb)
netCDF-4 source files which are too large to load into memory using the default
BOUNDING_BOX reading strategy.  Xiangtan Lin modified the
getOptimumDataReadingStrategy method in ncwms to make NetCDF-4 type datasets
default to SCANLINE reading strategy.  This reduced the memory footprint
sufficiently to get the wms layers working.  See discussion here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/thredds/2011/msg00328.html

We are now consolidating this thredds instance into a large corporate system
and were hoping we could get this change included in the master source so we
can keep up with the current releases without having patch each new one.
Comments in the source seem to suggest that SCANLINE is the intended default
for NetCDF files but the existing check only catches versions prior to 4.

So, would it be possible to have this change made to the ncwms master? I can
make the changes and setup a GitHub pull request if that helps.

Thanks
Peter Warren