Re: [thredds] THREDDS WMS re-projection error

Hi All:

I meant to chime in on this, and it slipped through the cracks.  We have run
into this also,  mostly with GIS software, but with other visualization
software also.  It has to do with how the grid is interpreted when the  image
is rendered - are the data the center of the pixel or the edge of the pixels.
The difference in interpretation will cause an offset of one-half the lat-lon
grid size.  I use to know which it was GIS software assumed,  but I am old and
forgetful.

-Roy

> On Aug 23, 2016, at 10:00 AM, Sean Arms <sarms@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Greetings Simon,
>
> It almost looks like this is an issue of how the pixel is defined - it's like
> there is an offset of 0.5 pixel between the green and grey layer. I do not
> have any experience with any of the GIS packages. Anyone out there
> experienced this before?
>
> Sean
>

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Wright, Simon M. <smw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear THREDDS mailing list
>

> We have set THREDDS up to host a WMS for some netCDF files.  These netCDF
> files have a 5 km resolution and are in the EPSG:3035 coordinate reference
> system.  The metadata header for one of the netCDF files is as follows:
>

> netcdf Z:/thredds/edge/edge-mockup-20160711-RCP2_6-ECMWF-NOAA-indicator01.nc {
>
>   dimensions:
>
>     time = UNLIMITED;   // (17 currently)
>
>     x = 1000;
>
>     y = 950;
>
>   variables:
>
>     float indicator(time=17, y=950, x=1000);
>
>       :_FillValue = -9999.0f; // float
>
>       :standard_name = "indicator01";
>
>       :long_name = "indicator01";
>
>       :units = "-";
>
>       :RCP = "RCP2_6";
>
>       :GCM = "ECMWF";
>
>       :HYDROMODEL = "NOAA";
>
>       :coordinates = "time y x";
>
>       :grid_mapping = "lambert_azimuthal_equal_area";
>
>       :missing_value = -9999.0f; // float
>
>       :valid_min = 0.0; // double
>
>       :valid_max = 22.8378; // double
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 6, 317, 334; // int
>

>     int lambert_azimuthal_equal_area;
>
>       :grid_mapping_name = "lambert_azimuthal_equal_area";
>
>       :longitude_of_projection_origin = "10.0";
>
>       :latitude_of_projection_origin = "52.0";
>
>       :false_easting = "4321000.0";
>
>       :false_northing = "3210000.0";
>
>       :_CoordinateTransformType = "Projection";
>
>       :_CoordinateAxisTypes = "GeoX GeoY";
>

>     double lat(y=950, x=1000);
>
>       :standard_name = "latitude";
>
>       :long_name = "latitude coordinate";
>
>       :units = "degrees_north";
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 475, 500; // int
>

>     double lon(y=950, x=1000);
>
>       :standard_name = "longitude";
>
>       :long_name = "longitude coordinate";
>
>       :units = "degrees_east";
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 475, 500; // int
>

>     double time(time=17);
>
>       :_FillValue = -9999.0; // double
>
>       :long_name = "time";
>
>       :units = "seconds since 2019-01-01 23:59:59";
>
>       :calendar = "gregorian";
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 17; // int
>
>       :_CoordinateAxisType = "Time";
>

>     double x(x=1000);
>
>       :standard_name = "projection_x_coordinate";
>
>       :long_name = "x coordinate of projection";
>
>       :units = "Meter";
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 1000; // int
>
>       :_CoordinateAxisType = "GeoX";
>

>     double y(y=950);
>
>       :standard_name = "projection_y_coordinate";
>
>       :long_name = "y coordinate of projection";
>
>       :units = "Meter";
>
>       :_ChunkSizes = 950; // int

> [...]

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst