[thredds] OPeNDAP Clients and Cookies

Greetings,

To server our data, we set a cookie once the user successfully logs in to our website. We check for that cookie upon return to the website. I have successfully written a filter for our experimental TDS and it seems to handle web browser interactions by checking for cookies and redirecting to our login if need be. My next step is how to handle opendap requests.

I have been reading up on the various ways to authenticate opendap requests (primarily via THREDDS), many of which refer to the server setting a session cookie upon successful login. My question is, how is the session cookie checked upon subsequent requests by opendap clients like IDL, Matlab, IDV, pydap, etc.?

We have a mechanism to allow users to obtain and store cookie information for use in non-browser-sessions like scripts. These scripts usually involve wget which has a way to load cookies. Do opendap clients have any such way to send a cookie?

This is a major hurdle for our service and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-kevin.

--
Kevin Manross