Re: [thredds] Downloading HYCOM using the NetCDF Subset Service

Elizabeth,
We are aware of this issue. Recently something has gone awry with out
legacy tomcat/thredds server. A new set of servers are in the works!
subscribe to forum@xxxxxxxxx for details.

In the past the errors you are seeing occur when users attempt to
query too large of a "Time range" (defaults to the entire range)
across multiples days of data (equals the open/close of multiple large
netcdf files in the background). I assume the NCSS was designed for
smaller datasets, and we at HYCOM.org are pushing this to the max with
several years of data equating to several Terabytes of netcdf objects.
When we aggregate all of this data together into a single thredds
catalog you should be prepared to wait a long while for the files to
be indexed and then served.

We attempted to test out the latest THREDDS 4.3.14, but the NetCDF
Subset Service included with this latest version does not work at all
with aggregated datasets. So the only way for this to work efficiently
is to serve out individual files using NCSS (thus negating the
convenience of the "Time Range" option). Will debug this in a separate
forum thread.

--
Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator