Re: [thredds] -XX:MaxPermSize JAVA_OPTS setting to solve frequent PermGen errors

On 12/22/2010 5:39 PM, John Maurer, IV wrote:
Hi All,
With Rich Signell's help, I was recently able to end a bout of daily PermGen errors after my TDS 4.2 upgrade and wanted to shared the solution here in case it might be useful to others. As recommended in TDS training <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/GettingStarted.html>, I had previously used the following JAVA_OPTS settings to increase the initial and maximum allocated memory of the JVM to help performance and avoid frequent PermGen errors:

-Xms512m -Xmx1500m

However, after 4.2 my system was hung with daily PermGen errors in my catalina.out despite the above settings. In addition to the above, Rich recommended the following, which I also subsequently found echoed in the TDS FAQ <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/faq.html#permGenOutOfMemoryError> (which shows 128m):

-XX:MaxPermSize=180m

Since making the above addition, I have not had anymore PermGen errors.
Cheers,
John Maurer
Hawaii Ocean Observing System (HiOOS)
University of Hawaii

P.S. You can update JAVA_OPTS in $TOMCAT/bin/setenv.sh. My file includes the following line for JAVA_OPTS (plus a couple others for setting JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME):

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx1500m -Xms512m -XX:MaxPermSize=180m -server -Djava.awt.headless=true"
export JAVA_OPTS

Thanks John, I will add this to the docs.

BTW, -Xmx1500m is for 32-bit systems, use more (eg 4096m) for 64-bit systems.