Re: [thredds] Maximum length of viewer URL

On Nov 26, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Roy Mendelssohn wrote:

Hi Guys:

I have been testing the Viewer options, where you add to the dataset lines such as:

<property name="viewer" value="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/,MyViewer "/>

I am trying to make it so the link not only goes to the particular viewer but comes up with that dataset. Our Coastwatch browser wants a lot of info, so if I do

<property name="viewer" value="http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/coastwatch/CWBrowser.jsp,Coastwatch "/>

all is fine but while I get the browser I am not at the selected dataset. If I however try what I would like to try:

<property name="viewer" value="http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/coastwatch/CWBrowser.jsp?edit=Grid+Data&gridDataSet=SST%2C+Blended%2C+0.1+degrees%2C+Global%2C+EXPERIMENTAL*&gridTimePeriod=1+day&gridCenteredTime=2010-11-25+12%3A00%3A00&gridCenteredTime_Year=2010&gridCenteredTime_Month=11&gridCenteredTime_Day=25&gridCenteredTime_Time=12%3A00%3A00&gridUnits=degree+C&gridPalette=Rainbow&gridPaletteScale=Linear&gridPaletteMin=8.0&gridPaletteMax=32.0&gridTimeSeriesLon=&gridTimeSeriesLat=&synchronizeTimes=true,Coastwatch "/>

it fails in the sense that an error is thrown trying to access the dataset html page. So the question is, is there a maximum length to the URLs allowed, or am I doing something stupid and if I could only see it all would be well (such as you don't want space and the like encoded and I should unencode them). You can test this yourself, as it doesn't really matter what the actual dataset is.

As I understand it, there's nothing in the RFCs that limits the length of a URL. That means in both ways - there's no maximum size set by a standard and there's no minimum size applications have to support. There is a stipulation in the URI RFC that the hostname part not exceed 255 characters (that's a DNS limitation, I think).

I'm pretty sure tomcat can support, out of the box, urls that are about 8k.

James

BTW, this is with the latest TDS 4.2 running on Ubuntu.

Thanks,

-Roy

**********************
**********************