From: Liping Di <ldi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Subject: [WCS.swg] ISO TC 211 imagery encoding standard
To: wcs.swg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,
ISO TC 211 intends to start a project on imagery encoding standard that will
be related to WCS SWG. The working Group 6 of ISO TC 211 will be responsible
for the project. The intent in ISO is to develop a common data content model
that can describe most of imagery data content. The model will be expressed
in UML. Then the standard will include informative annexes shows how to
implement the content models in the most of commonly used formats, such as
GeoTiff, netCDF, HDF-EOS, JPeg 2000, etc. The standard is not intended to
standardize image formats, rather the content models behind the format so
that data in different format can be translated easily without losing any
content. The project has not started yet, but expected to be started in this
year or earily next year.

Liping