Re: [thredds] Projection issues

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Kyle Shannon wrote:

Hello all,
I am using the unidata thredds server to download some NDFD data.  I noticed
that
the projection specified is a Lambert_Conformal_Conic_2SP and both standard
parallels are specified as 0.   In the metadata, if I am reading it correctly,
the
projection is actually a Lambert_Conformal_Conic_1SP with a standard parallel of
25.  I am using GDAL to hangle the files and proj4 has trouble with the 1st
scenario, but not the second.  Is the projection set at the source (NOAA NDFD)
or
by the NetCDF subsetting service?  Who can I contact to deal with this issue?
Thanks.

Kyle,

The projection information is obtained from the data, so the source is NCEP NDFD. The NCEP Lambert conformal projection is described at:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/grib2/grib2_temp3-30.shtml

Included is the GDS information from today's 12Z NDFD file and the standard parallels are set to 25 not 0.

I will check that the subsetting service is getting the information correctly.

Robb...

GDSkey = 801839731
grid_type = 30
grid_name = Lambert_Conformal
grid_shape_code = 1
grid_shape = Earth spherical with radius specified by producer
grid_radius_spherical_earth = 6371200.0
Quasi = false
Nx = 1073
Ny = 689