Re: CSW, THREDDS, GALEON 2

--=======AVGMAIL-4563271813F2======
boundary="=====================_2997680==.ALT"; x-avg-checked=avg-ok-67BB5B51

--=====================_2997680==.ALT

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the useful note.

>I think I may need to clarify the situation.  The current primary
>focus of the CSW/THREDDS gateway that GMU is working on is mainly on
>mapping THREDDS catalog metadata to ISO 19115 so that THREDDS
>metadata can be made available in an international standard
>form.  It would be a mistake to divert that project from it's high
>priority objectives.

I agree with you: this is a useful objective. Indeed, in the
framework of GALEON phase II, we're interested in providing a
contribution on such topic. In fact, we developed a mapping from
THREDDS data model to an ISO 19115 profile.

Presently, we're testing a similar mapping for CS-W.ebRIM, too.

>On the other hand, the question of how to provide inventory catalogs
>of "collections" of datasets, and catalogs of those collections --
>as THREDDS does -- keeps coming up in many different settings.  It
>arose in the OGC GALEON interoperability experiment; it came up in
>discussions at the 3rd Interoperability Workshop on the Automated
>Harvesting of Data and Metadata last week.

In our opinion, this is another important issue. For example, we are
experimenting a Web Service to aggregate distributed THREDDS
catalogs, creating a new virtual catalog, using either a pull or a
push based approach.

---Stefano

--=======AVGMAIL-4563271813F2======

Checked by AVG Free Edition.