[Support #TOG-744630]: Grids from an OPeNDAP server

Hi Valentijn,

> i cannot save the attachment, can you send it once more pls?
> In fact, we experimented with ncml and got most variable names
> corrected.

Sorry about that. I'll inline it here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
location="dods://data.nodc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/pathfinder/Version5.0/8day/2001/2001001-2001008.s0481pfv50-sst-16b.hdf"
 enhance="true">

  <variable name="sst">
    <attribute name="long_name" type="String" value="sea surface temperature" />
    <attribute name="units" type="String" value="degC" />
    <attribute name="add_offset" orgName="add_off" />
    <!--attribute name="missing_value" type="short" value="0" /-->
  </variable>
  <variable name="lat">
    <attribute name="long_name" type="String" value="latitude" />
    <attribute name="units" type="String" value="degrees_north" />
  </variable>
  <variable name="lon">
    <attribute name="long_name" type="String" value="longitude" />
    <attribute name="units" type="String" value="degrees_east" />
  </variable>
</netcdf>

> Do i understand you correctly, that only once the underlying code starts
> using the function Bas added (CrawlableDataset) to the TDS, aggregation
> may work on remote servers? Can you find the time to test this, also to
> get a better understanding of what lies ahead of us when going the
> "CrawlableDataset" way? Bas is away for holidays till the end of next
> week, and i leave for fieldwork on Sunday, and will return the 7th of
> October. Joseph is around most if the time.

Using the CrawlableDataset framework for the aggregation scanning is on our
list of things to do. However, it isn't very high on our list at the moment.
So, I'm not sure how soon we will be able to get to it. If you guys want to
take a look at it, we would be happy to help as we can. Otherwise, we'll have
to think a bit about when we might work on this.

I'm not sure I can say much about what lies ahead in terms of working on the
CrawlableDataset framework. Mainly because I'm not sure what you guys are
planning. I suggested a CrawlableDataset implementation to Bas' because you
wanted to catalog OPeNDAP collections. Besides aggregation, do you have other
plans in terms of the TDS, cataloging, and serving data?

Ethan

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: TOG-744630
Department: Support THREDDS