Re: Serving remote datasets with the NetCDF server

We can write a Netcdf file from an OpenDAP dataset that uses the Netcdf-3 data
model. Subsetting it by lat/lon bounding box requires that we understand the
coordinate system of the dataset, etc. We can do this for a remote URL as with
the WCS.

Note that none of this is currently available through the TDS, but we can add
this to our to-do list.

Rich Signell wrote:
THREDDS folk,

The remote data set serving capability of the THREDDS WCS is fantastic, and it would be great if this capability could eventually be added to the NetCDF Server.

(right now, I understand from
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:9080/thredds/docs/NetcdfServer.html
that the NetCDF Server currently only works on IDD/NCEP grib data served by the TDS)

Then folks would have a simple tool to extract collections of subsetted variables from any OpenDAP served CDM and receive a NetCDF file. That seems to be what most our users want to do.

Thanks,
Rich