Re: NSDL metadata for THREDDS datasets

Thanks, Jeff.

Those are important points. We definitely have to keep them in mind as we go. My idea for now is to develop the framework in which the tools themselves will operate while we continue our investigation of the myriad of geospatial metadata standards. My concern is that we are spending nearly all our time trying to understand the details of these standards and we need to begin getting some hands-on experience with the process of building tools that will create usable metadata in environments where there are 10 products a second flowing into the servers.

With that in mind, I have two quick questions regarding your suggestion:

-- Is there a mapping between the standards you suggest and the NSDL DC-Ed recommendation?

-- Are you aware of cases where groups have defined how the fields would be used for the datasets I listed in my earlier message?

But let me emphasize that overall I agree with you that we need to address the question of these more detailed geospatial metadata standards before we make any of this work more "public" where it takes on a life of its own.

-- Ben