[noaaport] Are there sectors or equivalent for GOES-16 derived products?

I am implementing a data ingest system for GOES-16 derived products coming
through the NOAAport test channel. Does anyone know whether there are data
elements in the products I can use to as the equivalent concept to a sector or
area-of-coverage.   The WMO headers do not appear to be useful for that purpose.

For example, when I look at the data currently streaming through with the head
IXTW01 (Cloud Particle Size), I am seeing groups of 3 different images which
are positioned at 3 different locations.  I'm assuming that these may be
subject to change on a day-to-day basis.  For header "IXTW01 NES 271215"

Received       size          longitude            latitude
11:47:25    2500x1500     -140.6 to -49.2       14.0 to 52.8
11:50:03     500x500       -72.1 to -59.2       13.5 to 23.8
11:50:33     500x500       -79.6 to -63.9       28.5 to 41.3

I don't know if it is relevant, but these values do not seem to be consistent
with the information in https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/web/data-format-registry

My requirement is to be able to present something to the user so that he can
select a product and have a basic understanding of the area of coverage.  For
the conventional GOES-16 products, this need is met quite nicely by the sector
code.  Does anyone know if there is something equivalent in the derived
products?  Is there documentation that covers this issue?  If so, I would be
grateful if you pointed me in the right direction to find it.

Also, I am interested in knowing if the areas of coverage provided by the
broadcast will be consistent over time.  Does anyone have information about
NOAA's plans with this regard?  Will the coverage areas included in the derived
products match the sectors being cut for the standard products?

Thanks.

Gary

  • Search the noaaport archives: