[noaaport] NOAAport signal update

In regards to that 1 dB drop in signal, the NWS Network Control Facility (NCF) chimed in wwith the following.

 The signal levels on the SBN have been "normal" since switching to the
 SES1 satellite.  Since the Novra DVB receivers don't give us dB
 readings, we don't use it to adjust our uplink levels.  We use receiver
 EbNo (>6) and gain (>1) to determine how the adequateness of the SBN
 signal at all NWS AWIPS sites. Since we don't use dB to measure
 receive, it's possible that there could be a 1 dB drop in signal
 strength, but long as the EbNo's and gains are at acceptable levels,
 there's no need to make any changes to the uplink power levels.  Based
 on current site EbNo's and gains, the SBN power level is nominal.

----

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the noaaport archives: