[noaaport] NOAAport satellite footprint/EIRP maps, old and new

AMC-2 (NOAAport currently, 6/11/2010):

http://www.ses-worldskies.com/worldskies/satellites/01_amc-fleet/amc-2/Coverage_\
Maps/index.php

SES-1 (NOAAport on 6/15/2010):

http://www.ses-worldskies.com/worldskies/satellites/025_ses-1/coverage_maps/inde\
x.php

In a swath from UNIDATA in Colorado to North Carolina, most of you should see a 1-2 dB EIRP signal increase. I have suspected AMC-2 isn't giving quite the juice or signal to noise they claim they are, so I bet most people in the central and southern U.S., including Puerto Rico, see a nice bump up in NOAAport signal levels on Tuesday morning. For those who are receiving the signal marginally, this is good news.

The bad news: the west coast states take a 1 dB hit in signal. If, that is, AMC-2's signal levels are to be believed.

If anyone has a device/software to measure Eb/n0 and can post a "before/after" graph on Tuesday morning, I'd really like to see what happens in as many locations as possible. Jose Nieves is going to do this from his location in Puerto Rico, which should get a nice 2 dB EIRP jump in signal strength, if the theoretical maps are correct.

As for me, I plan to at least do a signal check using the S75_TEST
software both here and at the College of DuPage. My reception is generally excellent, but has been waning a little over the last 2 years with a 3.7 meter dish, and I strongly suspect the bird is at fault. College of DuPage near Chicago was able to get data feed pretty consistently until AMC-2 took over the duty. I'll see what they get as well on Tuesday.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the noaaport archives: