[noaaport] 20100505: Novra S75 - Access Problem

Hi Eric,

re:
>I have a curious problem so I hope someone can help here. It seems we're
>lost access to our Novra boxes and we've done just about all we can
>think of. By losing access I mean we cannot query the box (S75_TEST).
>Adding to the mystery...we are still receiving data, we just can't
>access the Novra...
>
>By not access I mean S75_TEST shows "Found 0 Device(s)"

My observation is that this typically happens when one inadvertantly
changes the firewall rules for the Ethernet port to which the S75 is
connected... the flow of data on this interface needs to be completely
open.

re:
>So...here's what it's _NOT_:
>
>1) There are no other access points left open. I am aware if there is on
>open access point to the novra, a second will come up with 0 Devices
>found..

I am not sure I know what you mean by "other access points".

re:
>2) We have rebooted the machine.
>3) We have rebooted the Novra.
>
>TCPDUMP shows a broadcast of 10.0.9.52...however the last service we
>performed on the device we had setup the Receiver IP with
>192.168.1.10...

The fact that you see packets coming from the S75 when using TCPDUMP
but not when running S75_TEST reinforces my conjecture that you (or
someone else) changed the firewall setup for the Ethernet port to
which the Novra is connected.  As a quick test, turn your firewall
off and see if S75_TEST once again sees the Novra.

re:
>4) We changed the interface of our host to 10.0.9.55 in the attempt to
>gain access after seeing this...but that failed as well AND we stopped
>receiving the data stream. Changing the interface back to a 192.168
>restored access to the data stream, but it still shows "0 Device(s)
>Found".

You should leave the interface the way it was previously.

re:
>So, I'm out of ideas at this point. Can anyone give a new idea for me to
>try out?

See above.

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

  • Search the noaaport archives: