Re: [netcdfgroup] netCDF Fortran v4.6.0 now available

All:

The quantize feature was added to help large data producers (like NOAA,
NASA, and ESA) better handle ever-increasing Earth and space science data
volumes. When used with zlib (or zstandard), quantize will significantly
increase the compression ratio achieved. To use quantization, set the
number of significant digits to preserve for a variable. Bits not needed
for the specified precision are compressed away.

Here's a graph from the EGU presentation that Charlie Zender and I gave in
May of this year. It shows the compression ratio achieved with zlib alone
(a.k.a. deflate), and then the compression ratios achieved when adding
quantization at various settings for the number of significant digits.

[image: image.png]

Here's our EGU presentation, "Adding Quantization to the NetCDF C and
Fortran Libraries to Enable Lossy Compression":
* presentation:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/360815823_EGU22-13259_Adding_Quantization_to_the_NetCDF_C_and_Fortran_Libraries_to_Enable_Lossy_Compression_1
* extended abstract:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/360814804_Adding_Quantization_to_the_NetCDF_C_and_Fortran_Libraries_to_Enable_Lossy_Compression

Special thanks to Ward and Dennis at Unidata for their help and support in
getting this important feature into the netCDF C and Fortran libraries! ;-)

Keep on NetCDFing!

Ed Hartnett