Re: [netcdfgroup] Negative dust values

Hi Richard

It is not uncommon to see negative values on variables that are
supposed to be non-negative (such as dust concentration,
mixing ratios of gases, etc)
because the data was interpolated from the original
grid, normally a model grid, where it did not have negative values,
to a more user friendly grid, say, a lat-lon grid,
using an algorithm that may overshoot the original values,
for instance a cubic spline algorithm,
or the now fashionable "flux conservative" algorithms.

In the ECMWF case (which if I remember right uses a spectral algorithm), I would guess that the conversion from spectral to spatial domain may have something to do with the negative values as well, because the conversion relies on discrete Fourier Transforms (DFTs/FFTs) and Legendre polynomials, which can also generate spurious
negative values.

We have seen plenty of this, on data coming from spectral models,
from models that use cubed-sphere grid, etc.
Fortunately the spurious negative values tend to be localized
in areas where the overall values of the data are already low (e.g.
water vapor in the stratosphere), suggesting that the negative values
are just a numerical artifact, and those data points should not be used
for scientific purposes.

One workaround, which we have used, is to "rectify" any negative values
to zero, or to some very small positive number
below the normal range of that variable.
You can easily do this with NCO or CDO.

I hope this helps.
Gus Correa