From: <netcdfgroup-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ketan Kulkarni
<ketan.kulkarni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, 4 November 2017 at 15:26
To: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Negative dust values

Check if the data is in packed netcdf format which has scale and offset values.
I remember era interim data is in such format.

On Nov 4, 2017 4:17 PM, "Daniel Neumann"
<daniel.neumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:daniel.neumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
Hi Richard,F

If you find strange/unexpected values in your data you should contact the data
creator. Possibly a contact person is noted in the global attributes of your
netCDF file. I am not sure whether ECMWF provides only their own data or also
data of third parties.

What might be the reason for the negative values: If you look into the original
netCDF file (e.g. with "ncdump -h FILENAME") you will possibly find an
attribute "_fillvalue". Depending on the software you used to process the
netCDF file, all values equal to "_fillvalue" are ignored or not (they should
be ignored and kept untouched). Because _fillvalue is often negative, it came
to my mind that your software possibly treats the _fillvalues like normal
values. Because the atmospheric pressure is not constant, you will get slightly
different negative values in space and time (where the _fillvalues have been
before). At least this might be a reason for getting the negative values.

Cheers,
Daniel