Re: [netcdfgroup] who is use netCDF on ARM chips, and why?

Hi Ed,

We run netCDF on a number of different architectures, including ARM and PowerPC.

Our application is real-time control systems using the
EPICS<http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/> control system.  The EPICS
areaDetector<http://cars9.uchicago.edu/software/epics/areaDetector.html> module
is used to control 2-D cameras and detectors for visible light imaging and
x-ray detectors.  It has plugins for saving data in a number of different
formats, including netCDF, HDF5, JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc.  This software runs on
Linux (Intel and ARM), Windows and Mac, VxWorks (PowerPC), and RTEMS (Intel and
PowerPC).

For netCDF were are using 4.1.3, and support only the "classic" format, i.e.
not HDF5.  We have a separate file plugin for HDF5 which allows full control of
the file layout via an XML specification file.

These file plugins are documented here:

http://cars9.uchicago.edu/software/epics/NDPluginFile.html

and hosted here:

https://github.com/areaDetector/ADCore/tree/master/ADApp/pluginSrc