Re: [netcdfgroup] Building netCDF on OS X 10.10

On Feb 27, 2015, at 6:54 PM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
<roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx<mailto:roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Ken:

If I had to guess, from the installation instructions:

After HDF5 is done, build netcdf, specifying the location of the HDF5, zlib,
and (if built into HDF5) the szip header files and libraries in the CPPFLAGS
and LDFLAGS environment variables.

    CPPFLAGS=-I/home/ed/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/ed/local/lib ./configure
--prefix=/home/ed/local
    make check install

The configure script will try to find necessary tools in your path. When you
run configure you may optionally use the --prefix argument to change the
default installation directory. The above examples install the zlib, HDF5, and
netCDF-4 libraries in /home/ed/local/lib, the header file in
/home/ed/local/include, and the utilities in /home/ed/local/bin.

Check that your CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS are defined as needed before you do the
configure and make.

HTH,

-Roy

Thanks, Roy.  That did the trick.

I attach below the commands that I used to build the installation in case this
is helpful to others.

Cheers, Ken

Installing netCDF from the command line on OS X 10.10 with netCDF-4 support

Notes:

1.  You should be logged in as an administrative user.

2.  Check the various source distributions for newer versions before installing.

3.  Be sure to run the Xcode app on your Mac before attempting to install the
following software.  The initial run of Xcode installs some software
development components that are necessary for the builds to succeed.  You can
then quit Xcode and run the installs from the command line.

4.  The commands below install the various libraries in /usr/local.

Installing zlib v1.2.8

curl http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz -o zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz
gunzip zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz
tar -xf zlib-1.2.8.tar
rm zlib-1.2.8.tar
cd zlib-1.2.8
./configure
sudo make install
cd ..

Installing HDF5 v1.8.14

curl http://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/current/src/hdf5-1.8.14.tar.gz -o
hdf5-1.8.14.tar.gz
gunzip hdf5-1.8.14.tar.gz
tar -xf hdf5-1.8.14.tar
rm hdf5-1.8.14.tar
cd hdf5-1.8.14
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make check
sudo make install
sudo make check-install
cd ..

Installing netCDF v4.3.3.1

curl ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.3.3.1.tar.gz -o
netcdf-4.3.3.1.tar.gz
gunzip netcdf-4.3.3.1.tar.gz
tar -xf netcdf-4.3.3.1.tar
rm netcdf-4.3.3.1.tar
cd netcdf-4.3.3.1
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local
make check
sudo make install
cd ..