Re: [netcdfgroup] HDF error, and now what?

Thanks, Rob.

The frustrating thing about it is that the error message is completely
opaque.

I wrap my netcdf calls in a function that reports the error. If the return
code is not equal to NF_NOERR, then I call nf_strerror. The error occurs on
a call to nf_get_vara_int, which returns a status of -101. The nf_strerror
reports this as
"NetCDF: HDF error"

In case you (or a netcdf developer) can take a look, I have posted an
example file here:

http://maki.cee.pdx.edu/~ezaron/NETCDF4examplefailure/ncom_relo_amseas_2010072600_t015.nc4

The error occurs with a call like the following:
nf_get_vara_int(ncid,varid,istart4,icount4,tmp)
istart4 = (384,371,1,1)
icount4 = (2,2,40,1)
varid corresponds to the "water_temp" variable

It is a very strange error. If I open the file in ncview, for example, I can
view the other variables without problems. But if I try to view the
water_temp variable, ncview crashes and reports "NetCDF: HDF error" also.

ncks reports the same error when I try to extract water_temp.

But if use "ncdump -v water_temp", the values are extracted from the file
without any problems up to a certain point when the program crashes,
reporting:
NetCDF: HDF error
Location: file vardata.c; line 479

I see this bug mentioned on the ncks release notes:
netCDF #HZY-708311
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2014/msg00045.html
and wonder if it is the same problem.

-Ed