Re: [netcdfgroup] Comment and question

From: Ward Fisher <wfisher@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Comment and question
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 12:56:54 -0600

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM, David W. Pierce <dpierce@xxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> in generally, mingw is quite compatible with stuff compiled by MSVS
>> -- how could it call system dlls, after all? So I suspect that the
>> unidata-built dll would work fine.
>
> Unfortunately, my experience makes me think it probably won't, although I
> would love to be proven wrong on this.
>
> When bringing libnetcdf to Windows, I found MinGW/MSVC interoperability to
> be brittle.  Our first attempt, cross-compiling libnetcdf for use with
> Visual Studio using an MSYS/MinGW environment worked, but not in a stable
> manner. This is because MinGW uses an older MSVCRT which is not completely
> compatible with the runtime shipped with newer editions of Visual Studio.
> Ultimately, we discarded the cross-compiling solution and instead adopted
> CMake, which made generating VS-native builds much easier.

For linux-to-windows cross-compilation using mingw, I find "M Cross
Environment" -- http://mxe.cc -- very useful and very easy.  It
already supports netcdf (and a ton of other useful libraries, see
http://mxe.cc/#packages) out of the box.

In my experience, it makes cross-compiling "just work", highly recommended!

kind regards,

Thomas Danckaert