Re: [netcdfgroup] nc-config --libs output -- should it include hdf5 libs if netcdf-4 enabled

  • To: "Ed Hartnett" <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] nc-config --libs output -- should it include hdf5 libs if netcdf-4 enabled
  • From: "Gregory Sjaardema" <gdsjaar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 07:36:07 -0600
On 9/7/11 7:19 AM, Ed Hartnett wrote:
"Gregory Sjaardema"<gdsjaar@xxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

On 9/6/11 4:22 PM, Ed Hartnett wrote:
"Gregory Sjaardema"<gdsjaar@xxxxxxxxxx>   writes:

We typically use non-shared library builds which need the hdf5
specified explicitly.
--Greg
For static builds, the nc-config program should list all libraryes,
including the HDF5 one...

Ed

OK, sorry for the confusion.  If I do build just the static library
(--disable-shared), then nc-config does show all of the libraries.
However, if I build both shared and static, then nc-config shows only
the netcdf library.  In my use, we install both shared and static
libraries and some applications link to the shared and some to the
static and they need some way to get all of the library information
from the nc-config...

Thanks,
--Greg
Ah ha! Now I get it.

So would you like to have all libraries listed, even for shared builds?
I believe this will be harmless...

Anyone else have a preference on this?

Thanks,

Ed

Either all of the libraries listed even for shared builds, or another option --static-libs (or whatever) that would list the needed libraries for a static link.

--Greg