Re: ncdigest V1 #1119

Quincey Koziol wrote:
Hi Jeff,

On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:25 PM, ncdigest wrote:

ncdigest Wednesday, August 8 2007 Volume 01 : Number 1119

Today's Topics:
arrays of fixed-length strings

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:26:40 -0600
From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: arrays of fixed-length strings

In netcdf-4.0, I don't see how to create variables which are arrays of
strings with length > 1.  I see how to create arrays of
single-characters, and arrays of variable-length strings, but not
strings of a specified length.

Am I missing something, or is this not supported by HDF5?

Yes, fixed-length arrays are supported in HDF5. You need to use something like the following HDF5 calls:

    tid = H5Tcopy(H5T_C_S1);
    H5Tset_size(tid, <string length>);

Quincey: OK, thanks. Maybe Russ or Ed can tell me whether this is possible in netcdf-4.0? Being limited to single character arrays in netcdf-3 was one of things I really wanted netcdf-4 to overcome. Variable length strings are nice, but they don't map well to commonly used data structures (i.e. arrays) in fortran or python.

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449
325 Broadway                Boulder, CO, USA 80305-3328

To unsubscribe netcdfgroup, visit: