Customising CPP flags to match Fortran flags

For reasons that are probably irrelevant here, a colleague has asked me to build netCDF so that the Fortran interface uses a non-standard name-mangling convention, namely upper case symbols, no trailing underscore. In this way it will be compatible with g95/gfortran/g77 with

 FFLAGS="-fno-underscoring -fcase-upper"

How do I tell configure to do this? I am familiar with using the f2cFortran and pgiFortran preprocessor flags to enable/disable the Gnu Fortran second-underscore behaviour, but I don't know if there is a corresponding flag to give the name-mangling I want. After reading cfortran.h I tried AbsoftProFortran. This generates the right names, but "make check" fails with an access violation on nf_strerror, presumably because of a mismatch in the way strings are passed.

Is there another preprocessor flag that will do what I want? How do I roll my own?

--
Mark Hadfield          "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
m.hadfield@xxxxxxxxxx