Re: reserve header space in advance (Matlab)

"Joost den Haan" <netcdf@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Reserve header space in advance (Matlab)
>
> This must be an issue that has been raised before, hoewever I could
> not find anything in the emails of the past 5 years.
>
> There are (quite normal) circumstances in which attributes have be
> added to an existing netCDF file. This causes the file to be
> rewritten. For long files this is cumbersome.
>
> We feel a "reserve space" function - to be called after creation, but
> somewhere before "endef" in which a minimum header size is specified -
>  could make netCDF perform better.
>
> Maybe it is already possible (also in the Matlab interface)?
> If not, what are your thoughts about it?
>
> Thanks
> Joost den Haan, Delft, The Netherlands

My understanding is that this is what the initialsz parameter is for
in nc__create. See:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-c/nc_005f_005fcreate.html#nc_005f_005fcreate

This is in the C interface, I'm not familiar with the MatLab
interface, perhaps it exposes nc_create but not nc__create.

Good luck!

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx