Re: md5 checksum or gpg signature

Hi Tim,

I agree with your assessment of the low priority for cryptographically secure hashes if there is a run-time penalty. We would probably start
with a glibc-supported hash.

Anyhow, I really like the idea of incorporating something like this into
ncks. Of course it goes without saying that the user will have to make a
new MD5sum every time the file is changed, so most users will probably
just do this after the last operation on the NetCDF file prior to it being
archived.

A global attribute should be used for the file hash.
If it seems useful, we could allow per-variable hash too, stored as
variable attributes, so that processing could continue after hashing.

Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, surname@xxxxxxx, (949) 824-2987, Department of Earth
System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100