Re: utility to turn UNLIMITED dimension into fixed len dim?

Am Freitag, 2. April 2004 23:51 schrieb Chris Webster:
> >>Is there a utility to copy an existing netCDF file with an UNLIMITED
> >>dimension into one without?
> >
> > Dear Chris
> >
> > ncdump and ncgen.
> >
> > The dimension of the unlimeted one must be set to the right one.
>
> This doesn't seem very robust.  Fails for:
>
> a) variables that start with a numeric digit.

We are using a patched netCDF lib I know this problem. For linux I could sh
are
the patched dlm for idl.

> b) "nan" in the data.

> --Chris

We have an idl routine which could do on default this conversion by
read_ncdf() and write_ncdf,
The reading and writing routine attributes are controlled by a definition
routine, def_icg

If you are interested you could find it here
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-i/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

Reimar