Re: c++ support for g++ compiler?

Dan Kelley <kelley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asks:

> Has anybody got the c++ part of the netcdf-232p12 distribution working
> with the FSF g++ compiler?
>
> I note that the c++ code on the ftp site is nearly two years old, and
> wonder whether somebody has updated this code to work with g++ (e.g.
> version 2.5.8, which I use).
>
> I got the code to compile with our ATT compiler, as a test, but that
> doesn't help me, because I use g++ for my work, and name-mangling
> prevents linkage of ATT and g++.

A patch is available for the netcdf-232p12 distribution that includes
changes needed to make it work with the GNU g++ compiler.  You can get the
patch from

        ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/2.3.2-patch3

Recently Dan Schmitt from Texas A&M University has contributed more bug
fixes and enhancements for the netCDF C++ code (Thanks Dan!).

In the next day or two, I'll be making these additional accumulated changes
available.  The new patch will be

        ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/2.3.2-patch4

and I'll announce when it's available.

You can expect more changes to the C++ interface as part of a later netCDF
release, including the use of templates, exceptions, and compatibility with
the Standard C++ Library.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000