Re: But will anyone use them?

David Wojtowicz writes:

> Many of these conventions would be a great idea if standardized.
> However, what good will they be if no one uses them?

I would... I suspect that the people David refers to wouldnt ever
(because they dont need to) or dont (because they dont see value added).

1 - I , (and I think Tim Holt might be in the same position), need to
one-time support numerous scientists of various abilities with data
which is rather generic in nature.  Adoption of conventions and standards
to any extent possible goes a long way towards helping us - providing
ad-hoc programming support is not our mandate, but its hard to do
our jobs without it.

2 - As conforming applications become common, many of those mentioned
will be moved to conform as well.  The fact that they have seen the
value of netCDF to begin with proves that.

Who next on the soapbox?
Rich Schramm