[netcdf-java] how to write in-memory netcdfdataset as an nc file?

Maybe this is too obvious for me to see right now, but I can't find a way to simply write down an in-memory NcML document to a NetCDF file. The issue seems to be that although I can create NetcdfDataset from ncml and this inherits NetcdfFile, there appears no way to create NetcdfFileWriteable from either.

I have so far;

public void persistNcml(String ncml, String filePath) {

 InputStream ins = new ByteArrayInputStream(ncml.getBytes());
 NetcdfDataset netcdfDataset = NcMLReader.readNcML(ins, null);

 ??? [need way to persist netcdfDataset as an nc file]

}

Thanks, Nick