XYT and XYZT grid with only 1 X and 1 Y point in axis

I am using the Java netCDF library (version 2.2.something -- how to I tell which from the jar?) to extract the GeoGrids from the netCDF dataset from these two URLs.

Both are degenerate in the sense that there is only one X and one Y in the "grid", but none the less in the case of the XYT file the GeoGrids are returned successfully.

However in the second case where a similar XY grid is defined, but includes a Z axis getGrids() returns an empty list. I think it should be able to return grids (albeit degenerate) just the same as the XYT case.

XYT Grid:

XYZT Grid: