         Rob Ross <rross@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "R.K. Owen" <rkowen@xxxxxxxxx>,
         Mike Folk <mfolk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linnea Cook <cook13@xxxxxxxx>,
         Jianwei Li <jianwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Harsh Anand
<harsh@xxxxxxxxx>,
         Chris Ding <cding@xxxxxxxxx>, Doug Rotman <rotman1@xxxxxxxx>,
         Richard Hedges <richard-hedges@xxxxxxxx>, Karl Taylor
<taylor13@xxxxxxxx>

John,

I certainly would encourage you to try out the
NERSC version of parallel netCDF for the following reasons:

1. The NERSC version has an fortran interface which is
quite close to the sequential netCDF interface. Woo-sun has
done some systematic tests. Th rates are about 150MB/s
from 8 processors.

2. Even after the U. Northwest/ANL codes or the HDF netCDF
has complete parallel interface, that would not deviate too much from
the NERSC version / standard netCDF interface. So the
necessary recoding efforts are minimal, I believe.

There could be more comprehensive interface routines in the new
parallel netCDF, e.g., something similar to gather/scatter in MPI.
But these can be specified in the standard netCDF interface as well...

3. The main point for using  parallel netCDF is to ensure
that data segments written from different processors are non-overlapping.

4.  I/O rates are only one important factor in parallel I/O.
The convenience of parallel I/O are also important.  Carefully
study how the flexibility and convenience of parallel netCDF would
offer on your codes (instead of funnel everying through master processor)
is the most important step you have to go through. From this  study
you may actually suggest what the interface should be or
most convenient for your codes.

I'm not trying to sell the NERSC version of parallel netCDF.
I'm just point out you can use it for initial study and the
results/codes will be useful for more efficient/powerful versions of
parallel netCDF.

Chris

--
Chris Ding,  Staff Computer Scientist      Phone:    510-486-6901
NERSC Division, Building 50F, Rm 1608      FAX:      510-486-5812

------- End of Forwarded Message