Re: timing HDF5 1.6.1 code...

Ed,

> In netcdf the task is the reading (and, less importantly, writing) of
> large 2/3/4 dimensional arrays of floats/doubles/longs. By large we
> mean thousands of records of size range on the order of 100 for each
> other dimension.

Small clarification: there is no netCDF type corresponding to long
(64-bit) integers.  The type "NC_LONG" is a deprecated synonym for
"NC_INT".

> For example, a 4D file with 2000 records, each of size 100x100x100,
> would have a total size of about 2GB, the maximum now available under
> 32-bit netcdf-3.x.

Just to clarify something not related to your benchmarking, if you are
discussing float or int data, you need another factor of 4, so the
above would be a total size of about 8GB.  That's OK, because the
netCDF-3.x 32-bit limit on offset size within a record does not limit
the number of records, so you can write an 80 GB netCDF file, for
example, using 20000 records, each with 100x100x100 floats.  This
assumes you are writing to a file system that supports large files.
The C and Fortran Users Guides currently incorrectly state that
netCDF files are limited to 2 Gbytes in size, but that is corrected in
the Fortran-90 Users Guide and in the FAQ "Is it possible to create
netCDF files larger than 2 Gbytes?":

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#lfs

Related to this, we will soon make available a version of netCDF that
replaces the 32-bit offsets with 64-bit offsets in a backward
compatible way, since it is already being used in the parallel netCDF
effort.  The 64-bit version was developed and tested by Greg Sjaardema
of Sandia and adopted by the pnetcdf group.  We have incorporated the
mods for this into netCDF 3.6.0-alpha.  This is not meant to compete
with netCDF-4, but merely to provide an alternative for large files
until we develop and release netCDF-4.

--Russ