Re: Core Dump Trouble

>I have two workstations running LDM, and until recently, without problems.
>Both are similarly configured.  One workstation is starting to have core dumps
>every two to three days.  I've had "rpc.ldmd" dump core twice, and "dcuair"
>once.  In all three cases, the problem was a segmentation violation.  The
>second workstation isn't experiencing these problems.
>
>Unfortunately, the workstation that is causing me problems will be needed to
>be running 24/7 in the near future.
>
>Has anyone else seen a similar problem?
>
>Does anyone have any program/scripts that watches for LDM failures and
>restarts things?  If so, I'd be interested.

I believe I finally have an answer for our problem.  We had a corrupted
filesystem.  The filesystem was repaired a week ago.  I haven't had any
problems since.

It seems that the Linux OS gets very confused in its bookkeeping when a
filesystem fills up.  We've seen this many times, and the end results is
always lots of corrupted files.

        Kevin W. Thomas
        University of Oklahoma
        Norman, Oklahoma