Re: NIU weather.admin.niu.edu is down UFN...

> If you are a small department without a Linux guru, or without
> Unix experience,  read these messages and strongly consider
> Unidata's recommendations (I've seen Anne reiterate these recently)
> and stick with Solaris Intel on Intel boxes.  I know Linux is pushed
> and hyped quite a bit lately especially in academia, but if you
> aren't very Unix/Linux savvy and want something that will
> work every time, and will guarantee binary compatibility with
> upgrades, stick with Solaris.

I would like to add to this comment.  I have a fair amount of unix
experience and have been playing or working with Linux since
1994/1995.  When I assumed responsibilities here at LSC I
moved nearly everything to Linux partly because I had experience with
it.  Last year, for various reasons, I migrated our LDM server over to
Solaris X86.  I was impressed with how well it performed and the
installation of our Unidata related applications was surprisingly
smooth compared with Linux.  The system is much more reliable than it was
running Linux (the exact same machine) and seems to perform under
load much more predictably.  It has significantly reduced the
amount of maintenance I was doing to keep the LDM up and running.  This
summer I plan on migrating our lab machines over to Solaris from Linux.

>Note that I am not putting down Linux (it certainly has it's place)
>but merely pointing out that Solaris for many reasons is a
>superior choice for many people.   People that many times
>get no opportunity to hear about it..

Solaris X86 does seem to get little mention.  The media costs $75 but the
license is technically "free" so it is nearly as economical as Linux if
you were to purchase a supported version of Linux.

I will probably continue to use Linux as my desktop and to run our Web
server but I would concur that Solaris may be a better choice for
running the Unidata supported applications.

--
Mark Tucker
Meteorology

  • Search the ldm-users archives: