[gembud] GEMPAK and AWIPS II Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to roll another GEMPAK installation, as well as possibly install AWIPS II once available. I have a few questions though before I get started.

I have an extra low power quad core machine outfitted with 8GB of RAM lying around (I'd just need to pop in a hard drive and boot up).

1. What would be the ideal version of Linux to throw on it? CentOS or Scientific Linux? Which version number should I shoot for, and should I go x86 or x64? It is a x64 capable processor.

2. I don't have a great monitor for this machine for Analysis purposes (just a VGA cheapy from Walmart, my big $1k LED monitor isn't compatible with the machine). After the initial installation, can I run the machine headless and VNC to it over the network? Could I also install TeamViewer on it and remote into it as well?

3. Could someone here assist me in getting data to work in GEMPAK so I can get the most out of using it?

4. Once AWIPS II comes out, could I upgrade to AWIPS II in place OK over 8GB of RAM or do I need 16 on the data server? I have another machine running Ubuntu (with 16GB of RAM on it), and if I could install the client there and connect to the AWIPS II server running 8GB, I'd be OK.

Thanks!
--

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Backyard Community Administrator/Backyard Stations Support

WeatherBug Backyard

by Earth Networks